17 Things To Do In Sarasota Florida in 2017
Spring break has just passed and now it is time to start getting excited for summer travels! As I think about the places we have been recently, Sarasota Florida was one of our favorite destinations! We had such a great family trip there that I am already thinking about going back!
The weather is usually perfect in the high 80’s to low 90’s with a nice ocean breeze sweeping around. The vibe around Siesta Key, where we stayed, was super friendly and chilled. Everyone is kind and there to relax and have fun!
There is so much for families to do when they Visit Sarasota Florida that if you are looking for a fun family adventure for this summer, put Sarasota Florida at the top of your list!
This is why Sarasota Florida is a must-visit in 2017.
17 Things To Do In Sarasota Florida in 2017
- Go to the beach in Siesta Key! There are several, loads of public parking spots, and endless warm, white sand for the whole family to enjoy! The water is warm and perfect here for swimming. It is great for kids as it stays shallow and there are virtually no currents.
- Check out The Ringling – This is a hands-on museum of very cool circus memorabilia, walking you through the entire history of the circus, an art museum currently housing a very impressive collection, gorgeous rose gardens with a great playground for the kids and a historical mansion – the home of . We spent about 3 hours here and everyone had a great time. It was fasciniating. There is a little café or you are invited to bring a picnic. Don’t forget your sunscreen and some water too!
- Wander through Selby Gardens. This is home to a collection of plants, that is plants that grow on other plants. They have one of the coolest kids play/learning spaces that I have ever seen and highly recommend you making a stop here. The gardens are gorgeous, the views are spectacular and the learning is endless. They also have plays periodically. I did not get to see one, but next time I hope to, check out their calendar here.
- To grow the family bond. With all of the great family activities in Sarasota Florida, there is ample opportunity to play together as a family, showing each other how much value you each bring to the family and how much you all need each other, thus strengthening your bond.
- See the Sailor’s Circus. They only perform 2 times per year (during the winter break and during spring break), and we fortunately were there for one of them. It blew all of our minds. These are kids ages 7 and up, training to go on to circus’ like Cirque Du Soleil. They were incredible. If you visit in the summer, they run an incredible summer camp that your child can jump into for the day or week – find that info here. They do an incredible job and are the only facility like it in the world.
- To get great family photos! I know it sounds silly, but it is true! I love looking at photos from trips passed and Sarasota Florida is so so gorgeous. Some of ouor most beautiful shots yet came from that trip!
- Have an adventure at TreeUmph! This is a tree top adventure rope and zipline course with 5 different levels. You do a good training for about 20 minutes then pick your course taking you across daring rope bridges from tree to tree then zipping you across a field – some people go up to 40mph!! My kids had a blast here and I overcame my fear of heights thanks to the great staff (and my refusal to let my kids show me up) to complete 4 bridges… lol!! It was a great time and I highly recommend it, for so many reasons… but that will be a whole other post, coming soon! 😉
- Participate in the Drum Circle at Siesta Key. Every Sunday starting around 6:30 a circle begins to form of the friendliest people with drums, flowers, hoola hoops, batons, flutes and various other instruments. People bring their blankets and chairs, some yummy eats and gather to listen to great music on the seaside watching people dance, laugh and play. Even though we were visitors, for a short time everyone belonged and just had fun together.
- To try fun new foods! There are great restaurants all over town offering different things. Liked friend alligator… super fun to take the kids out and try some local flavor!
- To ride the new Siesta Key Trolley! You can flag it down if you can’t get to the stop in time and have a blast riding down the main strip in style! Find a great space for the day and take the trolley around for lunch, shopping and beach hopping!
- To see the Sarasota Florida sunset. It. Is. Breathtaking. And that’s all I’m going say, you have to see it for yourself!
- To step outside of your busy daily routine and step into the slow lane for a bit. Sarasota Florida has such a relaxed beach town vibe to it, it really encourages you to shut that phone down, get your toes in the sand and remember what it means to really live for a while.
- To reconnect with your family. Stepping outside your normal routine allows for each of you to see each other in a new light. Removing daily distractions like school and work lets our families play together and see our fun sides, reminding us just why we love each other.
- Explore Myakka River State Park, take a tour with Myakka Wildlife Tours. Not only is it a gorgeous nature park, but it is filled with fascinating wildlife that will keep the whole family entertained for most of the day. It is 58 square miles and has an 85-foot Canopy Walkway, a suspended bridge high in the trees with an adjoining 74-foot tower offering incredible views. Remember to bring food, water, sunscreen, extra clothes and the camera!
- See the Sarasota Opera House and try to catch a show. Sarasota Florida is a great hub of culture and arts. From the Opera to the symphony to the ballet, there are incredible performances to catch.
- Have a mini-golf tournament at Smugglers Cove Adventure Golf. This is always a favorite family activity and this golf course did not let us down! So much fun!
- To appreciate life. Sarasota Florida is beautiful, peaceful and fun – everything reminds you to stop and appreciate how fortunate we are to be able to travel with our families and to enjoy life.Share the travel love, pin this to your fave family travel board:
I really can’t wait to visit again. A big thank you to Visit Sarasota for sponsoring this and doing a great job informing us on all that Sarasota Florida has to offer.
When you are planning your trip, be sure to stop by their very informative website to find up-to-date info on what is happening in town during the dates you will be there! Click here to go to Visit Sarasota now and get started planning your next family trip!
This week, I will be featuring each thing we did when in Sarasota, so be sure to check back in for more of our adventures!
Cheers and Safe Travels!
Malibu Mama Loves Xxx