5 Reasons Why You Should Take A Self-Defense Class
Recently, I found myself the victim in a very violent act. It scared the crap out of me. Though I did survive without knowing how to defend myself, it was because of someone else that I am alive.
Which scared me even more. This person who saved my life was the very person whom I am supposed to be protecting. Since that night, I have been thinking ‘How can I protect myself and my children if I don’t have the tools and the knowledge to do so?’
Most of us don’t think violence will never touch our lives, and I sincerely hope it never touches yours. But knowing that 20 people per minute are physically abused in The United States of America, the chances are pretty high that either you or someone you know may well become a victim.
Whether it happens one night when you are walking to the car carrying groceries at the market, or on a walk you took alone at dusk in your neighborhood, or from your intimate partner, the possibility exists.
A dear friend of mine is a trainer at Bas Rutten gym in Westlake, CA. Every Friday night Dana Hernandez (you can find her on instagram @danalhernandez) holds a self-defense class here at 6pm (your first class is free so please come join us!). My friend invited me to join, knowing what I had been through and I am so glad I took the steps to go.
Dana begins the class with a conscious talk about getting into the fight mindset and refusing to be the victim.
She then does a small warm up and gets right into the instruction/practice. Dana picks various themes for each month and we focus on learning how to get out of situations and committing the motions to memory. Currently she is teaching us about choke holds, as you can see above. I am learning so much and really hope you will come join us one night.
Here are 5 Reasons Why You Should Take A Self-Defense Class
- It can happen to anyone at any time. The harsh reality exists that at some point, the vast majority of us will come across some predator somewhere, probably when we least expect it from the person we would never have thought would hurt us or even notice us. BUT if you have been through a self-defense class, then you will have a chance to fight back and get yourself safely out of the situation.
- A Self-Defense Class will empower you. Knowledge is power, every kind of knowledge. Learning how to defend yourself is learning how to take care of yourself and will allow you to feel safer. Knowing that you won’t go down without a fight, because your life is worth fighting for, will give you that extra bit of confidence we all need.
- Set a good example for our children. We know our kids just want to be like us and do the things we do. So when they see us learning how to defend ourselves, they will begin to learn as well. This gives them the message that our lives are worth fighting for and thus builds their confidence and self-esteem and deepens the parent/child bond. Our children are never too young to learn how to defend themselves so don’t be afraid to teach them the things you are learning, or even to bring them along. Most self-defense instructors encourage kids to come to class with parents.
- It’s the best life-insurance policy out there, per Self-Defense-Mind-Body-Spirit.com, a great resource for everything self-defense. We do spend all kinds of money on our safety regularly, why shouldn’t we invest in the one thing that can possibly save our life – ourselves?! Taking a self-defense class provides you with real insurance that when things go wrong, you will be ok, you will be able to defend yourself and keep yourself safe – and that’s the best pay out of all!
- A Self-Defense Class will teach you to trust yourself. Trusting yourself is a big issue and hard for many people. We rely on the very people who are most likely to hurt us, to keep us safe. But by taking a self-defense class, we learn to trust ourselves and to keep ourselves safe, boosting our confidence, self-esteem, self-value and self-love.
Whether you want to come out solo and join our fun class in Westlake on Friday’s at 6pm, or organize a girls night of your own with a self-defense instructor or class, or bring the whole family, I hope you will make the time to invest in yourself and take a self-defense class.
It will change your world!
Malibu Mama Loves Xx