Conscious Parenting: What You Need To Know About Mass Shootings
As the year is wrapping up, and the threats keep growing, we need to start and keep the conversation on mass shootings going. Can you believe that in the USA in 2021 there were more than 675 reported mass shootings leaving high numbers of folks dead or seriously injured??
I was shocked at that number. As are my children. Are you?
Mass shootings are something we need to be aware of and as conscious parents we need to talk to our kids about. There are so many misconceptions surrounding this topic that for the sake of our children, we need to expose and understand.
I may not be a navy seal, an army vet or even a martial artist expert. But I am a conscious mama. One who cares, researches and shares.
Here is what You Need To Know About Mass Shootings
- Help is not likely. More than 60% of shooter incidents are over before police arrive. This one shocked me. So be prepared, help is not coming. It is up to us to stay calm, cool and collected.
- Role play scenarios. Many schools have implemented drills. Ask your child, talk to them about it and role play it with them. Role play is the best way to for us to learn to stay calm under pressure, it helps having already done it a few times for practice. Help them (and yourself) learn what to do when a real threat is present and actually go through it repeatedly with them. Monthly even.
- Indecision is a bad decision. Doing nothing is the wrong thing to do. So go over options before the situation arises and come up with possible actions you can each take.
- Most people freeze and then follow the herd. This is the wrong thing to do and something that only role play and understanding will fix. We need to learn to keep calm, look for our own hiding spot or exit and act upon it. Freezing puts you in imminent danger as does following the herd because you are not making your own choices.
- Be AWARE. Eyes UP. Dial 911, communicate emergency, have a code word, then PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION. Stay alert and looking around you at all times.
- Assess the room or venue you will be in for blind spots, hiding spots and exits. You can do with schools, gyms, theaters, malls and even friends houses. Always be thinking, find desks or tables to hide under and hold your books to your chest for extra protection.
- Run zig zag. Sounds silly, but the truth is most people responsible for mass shootings are not trained marksmen, so running in a zigzag pattern will make you far less of a hittable target.
The more we practice and talk about this the safer we can make 2022 for everyone. We talk more about it here on Conscious Straight Talk With Katie & Lindsey, come chat with us.
Malibu Mama Loves Xx