How To Enjoy Life Again After Trauma
Many of us have experienced trauma in some form or another.
Many of us have experienced the side effects of trauma.
Many of us have created very unhealthy coping mechanisms and limiting beliefs that are holding us back, not letting us find happiness or success because of said trauma.
Most of us have never talked about it.
Most of us don’t even know how affected they are by it.
Almost none of us realize that there truly is a way to enjoy life again after trauma…
But first –
What is Trauma?
Trauma is a negative experience(s) that cause us to change our perception of our world from good to bad. Trauma is a normal reaction to an abnormal situation that diminishes our ability to manage the problems that we face causing a total breakdown of ones characteristics, habits and lifestyle. You can read more about that here.
So is there life after trauma? Can we ever find happiness again?
If you are asking yourself this, then you are in the right place! Keep reading, I’m going to share some groundbreaking info with you!
Can I Enjoy Life Again After Trauma?
YES! You can find happiness and success after trauma. You can lead a fulfilling happy life after trauma. It just takes some time, dedication and hard work.
I know that it may feel like it is the end of the world, you are exhausted, frustrated and feel like you are all alone. I’ve been there. I understand.
But here is what you don’t know yet and I had to learn the hard way (after years of isolation, depression and more toxic relationships). Have you ever heard the phrase when one door closes, several more open?
Well, that applies here. The hell that you have survived is opening the doors for major personal growth, for changes and progress in ways you never thought possible. You may feel like you are completely broken and just done with it all – I have many times – but the reality is that there are good things just ahead for us trauma survivors, really good things that we never thought possible…
As soon as we have a mindset shift. When you are ready. Here are 10 great habits you can adopt today to help get you on the path to post-traumatic growth.
5 Habits To Help You Enjoy Life Again After Trauma
- Embrace your feelings – the good and the bad. Let’s just rip the band aid off! This is the hardest habit to adopt because this is exactly what those nasty coping mechanisms are trying to “protect” you from. In general, many people try to hide their feelings, ignore them, push them away. In fact our brains come up with ways to help us with that – dissociation, addictions like gambling, porn or substance abuse are all distractions our brains create so we don’t have to feel. But that isn’t going to get you anywhere, in fact it will keep you stuck in the trauma. Instead try facing those feelings – the shame, the guilt, the fear, the anger, any or all of them as they come to your surface. Give yourself the space and time to feel them, reflecting on what you learned from it – journaling provides a great space for this. Appreciating yourself for surviving. NOT for being the victim, but for SURVIVING. You are a trauma SURVIVOR and that needs to be highlighted. Cry if you need to, laugh if you can, write about it often – just let it out.
- Be patient with yourself. Literally the second most important thing I can recommend. Many of us are our own worst critics, but that has to shift if you are ready for growth. You have been through a lot, transformation is extremely taxing so be patient with your progress and kind to yourself, hold the space for yourself to feel, to understand, to learn from and to blossom.
- A great way to start this is to start the habit of looking at yourself daily in the mirror and speaking encouraging words out loud to yourself. I know it sounds silly, but it really works. I’ve done this with loads of clients and all report after talking to themselves in the mirror saying things like “you are doing a great job, you deserve love, you are safe, you are loved” for a week, their inner dialogue starts to change and their productivity and happiness levels all begin to rise. There is nueroscientific research proving this practice works. Try it!
- Rewrite your story. This is a skill that once you learn and master, is life changing. It is what I focus on in the third week of my Consciously Awaken The True You healing course. It is where we shift viewing ourselves as the victim into viewing ourselves as strong, empowered Survivors who have overcome so much. For more info on this program, click here.
- Instead of letting the trauma kill your uniqueness, seek the perception that you survived and are now ready to turn that pain into purpose and thrive. We can do this with timeline therapy and rewriting our stories from victim to survivor mentality.
- Seek the support of others. Find a support group, talk to a trusted friend who understands, connect with a trauma informed life coach or therapist – whatever you are comfortable with. Just don’t go it alone.
- Create a routine and stick to it. Instead of wallowing away in self-pity and grief, stay grounded in the present by creating a routine of things you love doing, things that help you reach your goals and things that will help you heal. Be conscious of it and when you feel yourself going down the rabbit hole, get back on track with your plan, your routine!
Turning your pain into purpose and learning to enjoy life again after trauma is completely possible. Contact me here today if you are ready to take that step. I am honored to be there by your side, sharing my tools to help you thrive.
Start here with this FREE Do I have Unhealed Trauma Quiz.
Malibu Mama Loves Xx