The Fresh Start Effect
Whether you are ready for it or it is being forced upon you, fresh starts can be amazing.
Tomorrow, my children and I will embark on a fresh start, a new beginning. And the science behind the fresh start effect has me excited. Nervous, scared, anxious… but really excited!
What is The Fresh Start Effect?
The fresh start effect is the idea that people can disassociate their past performance outcomes finding the motivation to change their current ones during a milestone period. Meaning people are much more likely to consider the bigger picture of their lives, how their habits are effecting them and to set goals accordingly just after the beginning of a new era for them.
These periods are known as temporal landmarks. Temporal landmark is a term referring to major time markers that separate our periods of life. These landmarks help one to divide the timeline of their lives to categorize and utilize memories.
They are times in our life when we feel one chapter closing and another opening and we refocus on the big picture. All those milestones we reach in life. Like becoming a teenager, our 21st birthdays here in the States or sweet 16, starting a new job, getting married, having children, divorce, sudden illness, and yes, even going into and coming out of depression. Major change leaves an imprint in our temporal lobe, forever impacting our memories and abilities to make good choices.
Is The Fresh Start Effect Good?
Yes, even if we think it is not. God has a plan for us, each one of us. Yes, it requires a leap of faith. But talk to any successful person on any level and they will tell you to face your fears, trust in yourself and God and jump – just like they did!!
You are exactly where you are supposed to be. So whether your fresh start is of your own free will or because you are being forced into it, embrace it and know that The Fresh Start Effect almost always brings you to the conscious path you are meant to be on.
Fresh starts are a healthy, natural, good part of life and something to be excited about. Remember the power of positive and the laws of attraction? If you can have a good attitude about something you will bring more good into your life. Like attracts like.
But in case you need a little help, here is how we are handling our fresh start to get the good fresh start effect.
5 Ways To Get The Good Fresh Start Effect
- Manage your regrets. What is causing this fresh start? Think about what went wrong, list it out in writing even. Be honest with yourself and address your pain and frustration head on, then let it go. Let it go so you never repeat it again. Check that bad idea off your list, forgive yourself and move on.
- Accept your situation. Instead of going down the rabbit hole everyday of negative thoughts and what you should have done, accept what happened. Just own it. It’s over. Now you know and it will never happen again. The great news is that there is a tomorrow and anything is possible. Accept what happened and where you are now. Breathe and be thankful for what you do have, let that be your focus for a while. Accept you lost what you were not meant to have, but you do have everything you need.
- Create new goals for your fresh start. You are not the person you were. And that is ok. Who is the new you? Where do you want to be in 1 month, 2 years, 5 years? Write them down, tell yourself you can and will do this, everyday. Believe in yourself.
- Create the right mindset and daily habits to get there. Part of your fresh start is to create better habits for yourself. To do this, its best to adopt a peaceful, successful mindset filled with self-encouragement and love. Try meditation, journaling, exercising, learn a new skill, you can do it!
- Keep yourself motivated. Or busy anyway… lol! Is there something you love doing so much that the time just passes so quickly? Focus on implementing things like that into your daily schedule. Surround yourself with positive people who encourage you. Tell yourself how amazing you are. The Fresh Start Effect will take hold faster than you first think and before you know it, you will be doing exactly what you have always been meant to do.
Tomorrow the kids and I begin our Fresh Start. A new beginning for us all in a new town, in a new house. I have been utilizing all 5 of these ideas and truly feel excited at what is just around the corner for us! We are blessed, and so are you.
Cheers and Here’s to our future!
Malibu Mama Loves Xx
Share the Mindset – Pin This!