Conscious Foods: Clean Eating – Everything You Need To Know
I’m sure you have heard about this thing called clean eating. Parents are chatting about it at the park, co-workers are talking about it during breaks… I have shared my experiences here as I have learned, tried and thrived eating this way. No, it’s not some fad diet or hippy dippy way of living. And it is so much better and fun than eating fake foods!
Clean eating does not call for you to give up things or to fast. Clean eating is about being aware of ourselves, our earth and how our food effects all of it.
I went through my food revelation around the time of pregnancy. By the time my kids where born, I had discovered so much about nasty processed food. It was incredible to me how confused the media and other sources for money had made all of us about what we were eating.
I quickly set about learning and changing as much as I could. As a mama, my children had no processed food until a few years old and even then, only at parties. Growing and visiting local farmer’s markets, making our families food and seeing how healthy, alert and successful it helped us to be quickly became essential to me. Clean eating, without me so much realizing it, has always been a huge part of my momlife!
What is Clean Eating?
Clean eating is choosing foods that are minimally processed, ethically and sustainably raised and rich in naturally occurring nutrients.
The general idea is to consume foods that do not hurt the planet and are as close to their natural state as possible.
Change highly processed foods for natural, clean ingredients – ones that are in their natural state. The concept is so simple that it is perfect!
How Can I Start Clean Eating?
You already have! Just by being here you are learning about clean eating and starting to think about changing your eating habits. This is so much easier than you think and you will feel so good about yourself! Here are a few easy ways you can start clean eating today!
Ways To Start Clean Eating Today
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. The health benefits are too long to list here, these should form the basis of your clean eating diet. Choose a banana over crackers. A bowl of grapes over cheese. Olives instead of chips. Include larger portions of greens on your plate than anything else.
- Learn about processed foods and limit them. Become aware of the nasties and what is not good for you. Things out of a box or can, usually no good. Preservatives, high fructose corn syrups, they all hurt us and considered very dirty eating.
- Start reading labels. Check out what you are really eating. My rule of thumb is when reading ingredients if I can not pronounce it, I am not buying it.
- Avoid vegetable and canola oil. These are extremely toxic to us when oxidized and they trick our stomachs into thinking we need more food in our bellies when we really do not, we just need real food.
- NO MORE WHITE SUGAR!!! It does the same thing to our brains that crack does…. Why oh why is it still even being produced?!
- If you incorporate meat in your diet, start to only eat pasture raised, organic and kindly treated animals. It does make a difference in the meat which in turn makes a difference in your stomach.
- Drink up!! Be aware that you need lots of water for your body to run well. Make sure you have clean water and drink plenty of it.
Let’s get started right now clean eating with these simple tips. I did a bootcamp with Laura from Arbonne a couple of years ago when I had fallen of the clean eating path. It was amazing being part of a group and the recipes and shakes she had me drink. You can read more about that here in this post if you are interested.
For now, start reaching for more fruits and vegetables instead of your regulars and see how good you start feeling!
Cheers and clean eating friends!
Malibu Mama Loves Xx